Description of hydrogen peroxide and some terrific uses for cleaning, sanitizing and other useful hints.
Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is a combination of hydrogen and oxygen. It is very versatile and works well as an antiseptic and a disinfectant. Most products sold for the home are the 3% grade. Raw, uncooked fruits and vegetables contain natural hydrogen peroxide.
Terrific Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide:
- Whiten white laundry – Pour a cup of hydrogen peroxide in the washer with your laundry instead of chlorine bleach. Be careful not to pour it directly on your clothes.
- Sanitizes kitchen counter tops – Mix 1/2 water and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. It’s great to sanitize surfaces, appliances and to keep your kitchen germ free. (Only mix a small amount as hydrogen peroxide needs to be kept in its brown bottle to keep out light which will break down its chemical makeup.)
- Kills toenail and fingernail fungus – Soak nails in 1/2 water and 1/2 hydrogen combination daily.
- Tooth whitener – Swish a teaspoon full in your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes every day to kill bacteria and germs and to act as a tooth whitener
- Houseplants grow healthier – Mix an ounce of hydrogen peroxide into a cup of water and spray your houseplants. They will grow greener and more lush.
- Rinse fruits and vegetables – Pour 1/4 cup into a sink of cold water, then add your fruits and vegetables to rinse off any harmful pesticides that may be on them. Rinse off with tap water and then dry.
- Acne – Dab a clean cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide on the acne 2 to 3 times daily. It will dry up the problem.
- Remove wax from ears – Use an eye dropper to drop 3 or drops into your ear as you tilt your head. Let it sit for a few minutes before using a syringe to flush out the ear with warm water. Then dry with a clean cloth.
- Kills germs in bathroom – Same directions as for killing germs in the kitchen. Use 1/2 water and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray on vanity and bathtub to kill germs and get a clean smell.
- Lighten hair – pour hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle & spray your hair. The more you use, the lighter it will become. You can dry it naturally, with a hair dryer or in the sun. Continue until you have the desired color and then spray occasionally to keep the color.
- Take a bath with hydrogen peroxide. It will add oxygen to your skin and will absorb into your body. Oxygen is needed to help kill germs. The recommended amount of hydrogen peroxide is ½ to 1 cup of 35% hydrogen peroxide. That’s equal to 6 to 12 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Usually a brown bottle from the drugstore is 2 cups worth, so that would be 3 to 6 bottles of 3% in a bathtub.
Image by kelly cree via Flickr