Not everyone has land for a garden. Growing your own food is still possible. Potatoes are an easy first project to begin with.
large garbage can
potatoe eyes (spots on potatoes that often sprout)
1. Put a drainage hole in the bottom of your garbage can.
2. Fill can with about 4 inches of soil.
3. Place a few potatoe eyes in soil and cover them up.
4. Once potato begins to grow, cover with more soil, up to the leaves of the plant. Continue to cover in this way three to four times over growing season.
5. After potato flowers have died back you are ready to harvest. You can dig for potatoes or simply dump the can on its side.
This simple project will grow more potatoes than you imagine. It is a perfect project for someone interested in growing some of their own food but has limited space in which to do so. Children also love to be part of this project. Good luck and enjoy your spuds!