Boiled corn is my son’s favorite dish. He loves it since corn has many benefits for health.
When I went to greengrocery nearby my rent house, I saw some fresh corn on the table. I decided to purchase some corn and some other vegetables. Arriving home, my son saw the corn and he asked to boil the corn.
I fulfilled his wish of boiled corn. I went to my cozy kitchen and started boiling the corn. Around twenty minutes later, boiled corn was ready. We enjoyed the yummy boiled corn today.
For your information: the tips to get delicious boiled corn is adding a spoonful of salt in the water before boiling the corn. The salt will give savory flavor on the corn. Don’t forget to remove and drain the boiled corn after twenty minutes.
After enjoying the boiled corn, I browsed the benefits of corn. Here are some benefits I found:
1. Corn is one of many source of calories. 100 gr corn contains 342 calories. We could consume corn to increase the weight.
2. Corn contains high fiber. A cup of corn contains 18, 4 % of fiber we need daily. It helps preventing hemorrhoids and constipation. Besides, it helps reducing the risk of colon cancer.
3. Corn is one of many vitamins, especially constituents of B vitamin: Thiamine and Niacin . Thiamine serves maintaining healthy nerves and cognitive function. While Niacin deficiency causes Pellagra, a disease characterized by diarrhea, dementia, and dermatitis. Corn also contains folic acid. Folic acid deficiency in pregnant women leads to low weight born babies and neural defects at birth. Yellow corn is rich in beta carotene, which forms A vitamin in the body. A vitamin is essential for skin care.
4. Corn is a source of mineral. Corn contains some different types of minerals: phosphorous, manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, and selenium. The phosphorous functions to maintain the growth and health of bone, and maintain renal functions normally. Meanwhile, magnesium functions to maintain the normal heartbeat.
5. Corn contains high anti-oxidant which helps preventing cancer. The high anti oxidant will fight against free radical causing cancer. Moreover, cooking or boiling the corn would increase the anti-oxidants in the corn. Besides, corn also is rich with phenolic compounds ferulic acid, which is able to fight against tumors in breast and liver cancers.
6. Corn helps preventing anemia, since it contains B12 Vitamin.
7. Corn could reduce absorption of cholesterol, by lowering plasma LDL cholesterol.
8. Corn contains pytochemical finolic, which is effective in giving protection from diabetes and hypertension. Consuming corn helps management of Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (NIDDM) and fight against hypertension effectively.
Those are the benefits of corn I found on the Internet. Reading the benefits of corn made me realize corn is a blessing. Everything Allah Al Mighty created is useful.