This is the third article in a three part series about 4th of July safety. These quick tips can help you have an enjoyable, safe 4th of July.
Fireworks are a 4th of July tradition for Americans. The fun of setting them off and watching them sparkle is enjoyed each year by many. Here are a few tips to help you keep safe while enjoying your fireworks this year:
1) Set them off as directed on packaging. Do not bundle them together.
2) Once you’ve lit the fuse, stand back. If you are unsure whether or not the fuse has lit, leave the area undisturbed for a while. Do not go check. Just move on to another firework.
3) Do not let young children light fireworks.
4) Do not use homemade explosives. These have resulted in numerous injuries and deaths.
5) Have young children wear earplugs if needed.
6) Remember, alcohol and fireworks combined lead to many injuries each year. Use extreme caution and avoid alcohol if you’ll be lighting fireworks.
7) Do not throw firework casings into a fire if people are gathered around. This can lead to injury if a firework did not properly engage the first time.