Stay safe and have fun with family and friends by taking a few precautions when shooting off fireworks. These 10 simple fireworks safety steps will help keep you safe and out of the emergency room.
Although, a lot of cities host firework shows, which are free to the entire city, people still like to buy their own fireworks and set them off. This enthusiasm to see something explode and send fire into the skies, leads to a lot of injuries each year. There is a way to have fun with fireworks and be safe doing it. Try following a few precautions and your evening won’t end in the emergency room.
- Statistics prove that most people injured by fireworks are men. So, gentlemen, take note:
- Know your city/state ordinances. Some states outlaw certain fireworks and violating these restrictions carry a fine. The emergency room isn’t fun, and neither is the police station.
- Select a safe place for shooting off fireworks. Avoid dense residential areas; instead take your fireworks’ party to a parking lot or a street with low traffic.
- Don’t let small children handle fireworks and watch them carefully while fireworks are being used.
- Have a water hose, fire extinguisher and/or bucket of water close, in case there is an accidental explosion. It is recommended that even after certain fireworks have gone off, to pour water on them to eliminate the possibility of starting a fire. You can fill some old 1 litter soda bottles with water for this purpose.
- Use a fireplace lighter to light your fireworks.
- The body parts that are injured the most are hands, legs and eyes. Protect yourself by wearing gloves, jeans and goggles.
- As you fire off your fireworks, keep the unused fireworks in a covered container to keep from accidentally igniting them.
- Point fireworks such as Roman candles away from yourself and others. Never hold lit fireworks in your hand.
- Keep a safe distance when fireworks are going off.
Enjoying the fireworks and having fun with family and friends, but, keeping them safe is of the utmost importance. Simple planning and taking precautions with go a long ways in making the holidays a pleasant and memorable one.
If you would like to make money writing online, please, sign up here.
You may also enjoy reading: