Star topology, also known as the star network topology is a computer network. This is a common network configuration in which computers and other network devices are connected to a central computer or client, also known as the hub. The star topology, which is one of the types of network topologies, got its name because the branches look like a star.
star topology, also known as the star network topology is a computer network. This is a common network configuration in which computers and other network devices are connected to a central computer or client, also known as the hub. The star topology, which is one of the types of network topologies, got its name because the branches look like a star. The center, as well as leaf nodes and transmission lines connecting to form a star topology. The star topology is mainly used in Ethernet networks (LAN). After installation of the star topology resembles the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Parts of the cabling topology in a central connection point is known as a router or switch. Each host or device is connected to the central or hub with cables that transmit data. An extended star topology is a star network that expands and networks that are connected to the central network device or capital.
The network active star or star topology has a central node actively avoid problems related to echoes created during the broadcasts. But in a passive hub, the first node or central origin could withstand the echoes created when receiving the transfer. There is also a delay caused by a two-way transmission. The possibility of a network error is reduced when all systems are connected to the central node. The star topology can also be used on a bus network. A bus network topology or bus is a key point in the transmission of broadcasts received on a device with alternative devices that are connected to the network, including the central node. If a transmission failure of a node device to the source node, which is then isolated units without affecting the rest of the system. A node consists of workstations, peripherals and file servers are directly connected to the network hub. Data from the star topology is transmitted through the center before reaching the target. The central axis control all functions and transmission networks connected to it. The configuration of the star topology is done with the help of fiber optic cable, twisted pair or coaxial cable. There are many advantages and disadvantages of star topology. Look at the advantages and disadvantages of a star topology separately.
Benefits of star topology
A star topology has many advantages. Some of the advantages of a star topology to work properly listed below;
* The star topology is easy to install and wire.
* The star topology is better than any network topology and there is no obstruction of the lymph. To communicate between two devices only two links and three aircraft are keen to avoid confusion. The center also has sufficient capacity to handle heavy use of a device, without disturbing the operation of other devices.
* Work in the star topology is easy to establish, understand and navigate. Defects in the devices connected to the central hub can easily be detected as an error or that the link is isolated so that air is easy.
* The defective parts and network errors can be easily replaced. Until the bonds are replaced, other devices continue their normal duties without interruption.
* Expansion of the star topology is easy for the format is very simple, and thus contributes to the growth of the networks.
Disadvantages of the star topology
One of the main disadvantages of star topology is that if the kernel has some bugs, so communication between the systems fail, because the nodes are highly dependent on proper functioning of the central axis. There is a limit to the number of networks that can connect to the hub and network performance of all equipment is monitoring their performance. Traffic will also be affected if the node that has a substantial part of the processing power of the central node is wrong. The star topology is one of the most expensive network topologies and cabling system is a complicated process.