Shark Facts- sharks are over 400 million years old and have so much to tell by the ways there bodys have developed to be hunters of the deep.
Image via Wikipedia
Image via Wikipedia
1. Sharks are the one of the oldest species still alive today they are over 400 million years old, the shark species we see today are up to 100 million years old.
2. Sharks never run out of teeth they keep on growing and replacing them all there life and can use up to 20 000 teeth in a lifetime.
3. The great white shark is one of the few sharks that take place in feeding frenzies.
(great white shark)
4. More people are killed by pigs each year than sharks
5. sharks range from 15 cm to 15 M in length
6. sharks have an extremely late reproductive stage and can only reproduce at the age of 20 or more.
7. Great White can go up to 3 months without food.
8. baby sharks are called pubs.
9. The sharks you would call huge are usual the harmless sharks like the basking shark or the whale shark as they will eat plankton not fish or other prey.
( basking shark feeding on plankton)
10. some sharks will eat smaller sharks.
11. sharks have evolved with so many different methods of catching it prey one of them is even glowing in the dark.
Sharks In more detail
For many years scientists thought sharks were incredibly stupid animals and only used brawn to survive but recent studies have shown that compared to there size most sharks have relatively large brains ( not quite as smart as us but not just lumps of meat and teeth)
Sharks are amazing creature in the way that they might never stop moving in there whole life time, this is as they need the water to pass over there gills for them to breath. sharks are one of the strongest and fittest animals out there i think that it would be extremely hard for any other animal to match them.
Sharks have 2 types of muscle red muscle (found directly under skin) and white (below the red) these are used for diff rent purposes.
The sharks red muscle is used for long distance swimming they can be going on this for days at a time.
This it the muscle that provided the real power to to shark sharks use there white muscle for catching prey or running from a predator in the case of the great white shark it can be so power full that it lifts its body out of the water completely.
we know by now that sharks are very stong and there not stupid but is that enough for them to find a meal in the huge huge space that they can patrols so what do they need to get a meal they need senses and they have got them. sharks have 6 senses touch, sight, smell, hearing, taste and electro-sense
Sharks have extremely good vision compared to some other animals as they can see in the dark and in color.
sharks have extremely good smell and can smell a drop of blood from a very very long way away.
The shark’s 6th sense is that they can sense the extremely small electro waves from animals. This is extremely help full for the smaller sharks as they can hear fish under 20cm of sand then cant see fish under 20 cm of sand but they can sense the fish so they have got dinner.