They may not be big, they may not be long or tall but they are surely the most dangerous. They are extremely venomous and their skins contain a large concentration of very poisonous alkaloids that can kill the largest mammals, birds and reptiles within seconds. They are the most dangerous amphibians and among the most dangerous animals in the world.
If you thought only mammals and reptiles are dangerous, well, think again. The world’s most dangerous amphibians are more venomous compared to the most poisonous snakes. They are far deadlier than any known spiders or insects. Here they are:
5. The South American Red belly Toad – These toads are found in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. They have triangular heads and large hind limbs. They have red spots on their skin which also contains poisonous alkaloids that kill enemies.
4. Corroboree frogs – They are indigenous Australian frogs found in New South Wales and Victoria. They have yellow and dark green stripes and feed on most invertebrates including ants, beetles and insect larvae. They produce toxic alkaloids known as pseudo-phrynamine meant to protect them against predators.
3. The Golden frogs – Also known as Mantella frogs, golden frogs like the name suggests are golden colored with black, blue or green spots. They are small frogs native to Madagascar which measure a maximum of 5 centimeters and 56 grams. Their skins are highly toxic to predators.
2. Epipedobates – They are various species of frogs that are extremely poisonous. They produce a very toxic alkaloid known as epibatidine which is known to cause muscle paralysis and cardio-respiratory depression and eventually death. They include the phantasmal poison frog, Anthony’s poison arrow frog and the Ecuadorian poison frog.
1. Dendrobates – They are known as the poison dart frogs. They feed on ants and termites. They are used by native Colombians to poison blowgun darts for hunting birds and mammals including fellow humans. They are beautifully colored but dangerous. The most dangerous species is the Golden Poison Dart Frog which has patches of various colors including red, green and yellow.