"The study of an independent team of FDA to be published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science does not assert that the lipstick pose security problems for millions of women who use it every day.
Levels of lead were detected by the FDA in this study are still within the limits recommended by health authorities community, “L’Oreal said in a statement to Reuters.
“The FDA did not find high levels of lead contained in a lipstick. We develop and test methods for measuring lead in lipstick and did not find a level that can cause health problems,” said FDA spokeswoman, Tamara Ward.
Nevertheless, Malkan said the government should take steps to ensure the safety of users of lipstick. An advisory committee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has taken the decision that there is no safe lead exposure for children in any grade.
Malkan then questioned why the lead in lipstick is still allowed if there is no clear safety standard. He then suggested that the wearer of lipstick to reconsider the use of lipstick products.
Lead poisoning will display symptoms such as weakness, lethargy, abdominal pain, constipation and headaches. Especially in children, symptoms can be accompanied by convulsions, delirium and even coma.
If the poisoning is not too severe, the patient was moved enough to stay away from sources of pollution. Needed medical help if poisoning is severe enough, though usually would have fatal consequences.
Here are 22 of 400 lipstick lipstick was found to have lead content, although the numbers a bit like the FDA findings from samples taken at several stores during February and July 2010 that his research results were announced in December 2011:
1. Maybelline: 125 Sensational Color Pink Petal. Production of L’Oréal USA, 7.19 ppm of lead content
2. L’Oréal: Colour Riche 410 Volcanic. Production of L’Oréal USA, 7.00 ppm of lead content
3. NARS: Semi-Matte Red Lizard 1005. Shiseido production, lead content 4.93 ppm
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection: Vibrant Hues Color Ruby Remix Q580. Procter & Gamble production, lead content 4.92 ppm
5. NARS: Semi-Matte 1009 Funny Face. Shiseido production, lead content 4.89 ppm
6. L’Oréal: Tickled Pink Colour Riche 165. Production of L’Oréal USA, 4.45 ppm of lead content
7. L’Oréal: Intensely Moisturizing Lip color 748 Heroic. Production of L’Oréal USA, 4.41 ppm of lead content
8. Cover Girl: 025 Color Continuous Warm Brick. Procter & Gamble production, lead content 4.28 ppm
9. Maybelline: 475 Sensational Color Me Mauve. Production of L’Oréal USA, 4.23 ppm of lead content
10. Stargazer: Lipstick 103. Stargazer production, lead content 4.12 ppm.
11. Revlon: Matte 009 Fabulous Fig. Revlon production, lead content 3.32 ppm
12. Sonia Kashuk: Luxury Lip Color 27 Mauvey. Production Target Corporation, the lead content 3.12 ppm.
13. Avon Beyond Color 558 Mad For Mauve. Avon production, lead content 3.08 ppm.
14. Burt’s Bees: Lip Shimmer Toffee d. Clorox Company production, lead content 2.81 ppm
15. Lancome: Color Design Metallic d Work It!. Production of L’Oréal USA, lead content 2.28 ppm.
16. M.A.C: Metal Maven Frost d. Estée Lauder production, lead content 2.28 ppm.
17. Almay: Hydracolor 545 Pink Pearl. Revlon production, lead content 2.21 ppm.
18. Fashion Fair: 8907 Berry Finishings Bourgeois. Production of Johnson Publishing Company, lead content 2.18 ppm.
19. Mary Kay: Creme Blush Sheer 014 337. Production of Mary Kay, lead content 2.09 ppm.
20. Jafra: 814 Pure Ultra Creamy Blush. Jafra Cosmetics International production, lead content 2.08 ppm.
21. Estée Lauder Prescriptives: Colorscope 24 Apricot Shimmer Blossom. Estée Lauder production, lead content 2.07 ppm.
22. Rimmel London: Lasting Finish 058 Drop Of Sherry. Coty production, lead content 1.98 ppm.