Can you believe eight million tons of garbage reaches the bottom of the sea everyday?
While we, human, look for more ways to make our lives easier, and consume what convenient for us, our planet is enduring the punishment. Every day, eight million tons of garbage reaches the sea around the globe. These rubbishes are all non-recyclable, and they are all from human activity!
Have you wonder where our garbage will end up? Where does the item we put in the toilette, and flush down go? The answer is obvious; they often end up in the ocean and on beaches.
These include all kind of plastic items such as shopping bags, plastic bottles, condoms, and plastic food wrappers. Below is closer look at how long it would take for each of these items to biodegrade.
- The average life span of plastic demijohn is from 400 to 600 hundred years.
- The average life span of plastic bottle is from 300 to 500 hundred years.
- The plastic bags have a life span of 30 to 60 years.
- The plastic rings, which hold pop cans together, have a life span of 450 years.
- The food wrappers have a life span from 20 to 30 years.
- Condoms have the life span of 30 years.
Pieces of plastic, such as the rings around pop bottles, and milk bottles, have the life span of hundreds of years, depending on the quality.
Other Dangerous Items Found in the Ocean
- Aluminum foil lids have a life span of 10 years
- Aluminum has a life span of 5 years
- Sanitary pad items have an average life span of 25 years
- Tin cans have a life span of 200 to 500 hundred years
- Bottle caps have an average of 300 years.
- Diesel and engine oil depends on the amount spilled
- Glass bottles have a life span of thousands of years
- The carton has a life span of 25 to 60 years
- Paper bags have about 4 weeks, but have serious us effect on sea creatures’ digestion
- Cigarette stubs have an average life span of 10 years
- Batteries have a life span of thousands of years
In “An Ocean of Rubbish“, the Pacific Ocean is called The Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Since 20% of the garbage was attributed to large shipping vessels dumping overboard and the other 80% is from land base.
Let’s just take a peek at what the ocean looks like through these photos from this article:
If looking at these pictures makes you sick in your stomach, perhaps, we should start to care about our environment now, why wait? Go to the following websites and see what you can do to help.