Toxic ornamental plants that everybody have to be aware of.
Gardening is a favorite hobby of millions worldwide. Basically, we choose beautiful plants or plants that bear beautiful and colorful flowers for our garden because our very purpose is to beautify our surroundings. But we should be very careful in choosing ornamental plants for our garden because there are plenty of poisonous species of plants that can be very harmful to us, to our kids and to our pets.
Here’s a list of poisonous ornamental plants.
American Rhododendron (Rhododendron maximum)
The leaves of this ornamental plant with lovely flowers can be poisonous. American Rhododendron, also called Great Rhododendron, Great Laurel, Rose Bay, American Rhododendron or Big Rhododendron, is a species native to eastern North America.
Yellow Azalea (Rhododendron luteum)
This beautiful ornamental plant that bear pretty flowers is poisonous. Despite the sweet perfume of the flowers, the nectar is toxic, containing grayanotoxin; records of poisoning of people eating the honey date back to the 4th century BC in Classical Greece. Yellow Azalea also known as Honeysuckle Azalea is a species of Rhododendron native to southeastern Europe and southwest Asia.
Western Azalea (Rhododendron occidentale)
All parts of Western Azalea contain grayanotoxin (formerly known as andromedotoxin, acetylandromedol, and rhodotoxin), arbutin glucoside. Nausea, salivation, vomiting, weakness, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, loss of balance are the common symptoms of poisoning. The Western Azalea is found in Oregon and as far south as the Palomar Mountain area in southern California, with reports that it is found in Baja California, Mexico. 100 to 225 grams of azalea leaves must be eaten to seriously poison a 55 lb child.
Marsh Labrador Tea (Rhododendron tomentosum)
All parts of this beautiful plant contain poisonous terpenes that affect central nervous system, causing aggressive behavior. First symptoms of overdose are dizziness and disturbances in movement, followed by spasms, nausea and unconsciousness. The mere smell of the plant may cause headache to some people. Marsh Labrador Tea, also known as Northern Labrador Tea or Wild Rosemary, is a flowering plant. It grows in peaty soils, shrubby areas, moss and lichen tundra.