Here’s a list of the most toxic mushrooms in the world.
The most venomous frogs are the colorful species. Unlike frogs, majority of the most poisonous mushrooms are the dull-colored ones. Mushroom recipes are among my favorite foods. To protect your family, make sure that the mushrooms you pick in your area are the edible one – not the poisonous one because most cases of mushroom poisonings are due to picking of poisonous mushrooms mistaken for edible species.
1. False Morels (Gyromitra esculenta)
Looks are deceiving. False Morels is beautiful but deadly. This mushroom species seems delicious. Yes it is but it is potentially fatal if eaten raw. It is a popular delicacy in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and the upper Great Lakes region of North America. This mushroom’s toxin is the gyromitrin and affects the liver, central nervous system and the kidneys. Symptoms of poisoning involve vomiting and diarrhea several hours after consumption, followed by dizziness, lethargy and headache. Severe cases may lead to delirium, coma and death after 5-7 days.
2. Western North American Destroying Angel (Amanita ocreata)
This mushroom contains the highly toxic amatoxins and phallatoxins and has been responsible for a number of mushroom poisonings in western North America. Death Angel, Destroying Angel or more precisely Western North American Destroying Angel is found mostly in the Pacific Northwest and California growing near oak trees. Just half a cap of this mushroom can be enough to kill a human. There is some evidence it may be the most toxic of all the North American phalloideae, as a higher proportion of people consuming it had organ damage and 40% perished. Dogs, too, have been known to consume this fungus in California with fatal results. No definitive antidote for amatoxin poisoning is available, but some specific treatments such as intravenous penicillin have been shown to improve survivability.
3. Amanita smithiana
This mushroom is responsible for poisonings in the Pacific Northwest when mistaken for the edible Tricholoma magnivelare. Amanita smithiana is a species of agaric found on soil in coniferous and broadleaved woodland in North America. When consumed, it causes rapid renal failure. Two similar species have been implicated in similar cases of acute renal failure in Spain and in Japan.