Here are the answers to some AP Biology Test Questions.
AP Bio Meiosis Test Questions and Answers.
AP Biology Meiosis Test Questions and Answers
1. What is a karyotype? A display of every pair of homologous chromosomes within a cell, organized according to size and shape.
2. How do cells at the completion of meiosis compare with cells that have replicated their DNA and are just about to begin meiosis? They have half the number of chromosomes and one-fourth the amount of DNA.
3. Which of the following happens at the conclusion of meiosis I? Homologous chromosomes are separated.
4. Eukaryotic sexual life cycles show tremendous variation. Of the following elements, which do all sexual life cycles have in common? Meiosis, Fertilization, and Gametes.
5. Meiosis II is similar to mitosis in that…? Sister chromatids separate during anaphase.
6. When does the synaptonemal complex disappear? Late prophase of meiosis II.
7. Which of the following is true of a species that has a chromosome number of 2n=16? Each cells has 8 homologous pairs.
8. A given chromosome has 46 chromosomes in its karyotype. We can therefore conclude which of the following? Its gametes must have 23 chromosomes.
9. A gene’s location along a chromosome is known as which of the following? Locus.
10. In a life cycle such as that shown in part III of Figure 13.1, if the zygote’s chromosome number is 10, which of the following will be true? The sporophyte’s chromosome number per cell is 10 and the gametophyte’s is 5.
11. Referring to a plant sexual life cycle, which of the following terms describes the process that leads directly to the formation of gametes? Gametophyte mitosis.
12. After telophase I of meiosis, the chromosomal makeup of each daughter cell is…?Haploid, and the chromosomes are each composed of two chromatids.
13. For a species with a haploid number of 23 chromosomes, how many different combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes are possible for the gametes? About 8 million.
14. Chiasmata are what we see under a microscope that let us know which of the following is occurring? Crossing over.
15. What is a genome? The complete complement of an organism’s genes.
16. Independent assortment of chromosomes is a result of…?The random and independent way in which each pair of homologous chromosomes lines up at the metaphase plate during meiosis I.
17. Natural selection and recombination due to crossing over during meiosis I are related in which of the following ways? Recombinants may have combinations of traits that are favored by natural selection.
18. Which of the following is an example of the alternation of generations? A diploid plant (sporophyte) produces, by meiosis, a spore that gives rise to a multicellular, haploid pollen grain (gametophyte).
19. In animals, meiosis results in gametes, and fertilization results in…? Zygotes.
20. A human cell containing 22 autosomes and a Y chromosome is…? A sperm.
21. From the descriptions above, which of the following is the order that most logically illustrates a sequence of meiosis? 5,2,4,3,1.
22. Which of the steps take place in both mitosis and meiosis?3 – separation of sister chromatids.
23. Which of these statements is false? At sexual maturity, ovaries and testes produce diploid gametes by meiosis.
Image via Wikipedia
24. Tetrads of chromosomes are aligned at the equator of the spindle; alignment determines independent assortment. Metaphase I.
25. Synapsis of homologous pairs occurs; crossing over many occur. Prophase.
26. Asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction differ in all but which of the following ways? Asexual reproduction is utilized only by fungi and protists, whereas sexual reproduction is utilized only by plants and animals.
27. How many different combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes can be packaged in gametes made by an organism with a diploid number of 8 (2n=8)? 16.