AP Bio Biotechnology Exam Questions and Answers.
AP Bio Biotechnology Test Answers.
1. Which enzyme was used to produce the molecule in Figure 20.1? A restriction enzyme.
2. What is the enzymatic function of restriction enzymes? To cleave nucleic acids at specific sites.
3. What is the most logical sequence of steps for splicing foreign DNA into a plasmid and inserting the plasmid into a bacterium? III, II, IV, V, I.
4. Bacteria that contain the plasmid, but not the eukaryotic gene, would grow in all four types of broth.
5. Bacteria containing a plasmid into which the eukaryotic gene has integrated would grow in the ampicillin broth and the nutrient broth.
6. Bacteria that do not take up any plasmids would grow on which media? The nutrient broth only
7. Why are yeast cells frequently used as hosts for cloning?They are eukaryotic cells.
8. Which of the following best describes the complete sequence of steps occurring during every cycle of PCR? 2,1,4.
9. Which of the following produces multiple identical copies of a gene for basic research or for large-scale production of a gene product? Gene cloning.
10. Which of the following seals the sticky ends of restriction fragments to make recombinant DNA? DNA ligase.
11. Which of the following is used to make complementary DNA (cDNA) from RNA? Reverse transcriptase
12. Which of the following separates molecules by movement due to size and electrical charge? Gel electrophoresis.
13. In order to identify a specific restriction fragment using a probe, what must be done? A, B, and C are correct.
14. RFLP analysis can be used to distinguish between alleles based on differences in which of the following? Restriction enzyme recognition sites between the alleles
15. DNA microarrays have made a huge impact on genomic studies because they allow the expression of many or even all of the genes in the genome to be compared at once.
16. Which was developed by a British researcher and causes DNA sequences to be transferred to a membrane and identified with a probe? Southern blotting.
17. Reproductive cloning of human embryos is generally considered unethical. However, on the subject of therapeutic cloning there is a wider divergence of opinion. Which of the following is a likely explanation? Cloning to produce embryonic stem cells may lead to great medical benefits for many.
18. Genetic engineering is being used by the pharmaceutical industry. Which of the following is not currently one of the uses? Creation of products that will remove poisons from the human body
19. Genetically engineered plants include a transgenic rice plant that can help prevent vitamin A deficiency.
20. Gene therapy had apparent success in treating disorders involving bone marrow cells.
21. Scientists developed a set of guidelines to address the safety of DNA technology. Which of the following is one of the adopted safety measures? Microorganisms used in recombinant DNA experiments are genetically crippled to ensure that they cannot survive outside of the laboratory.
22. Which of the following is one of the technical reasons why gene therapy is problematic? Transferred genes may not have appropriately controlled activity.
23. As genetic technology makes testing for a wide variety of genotypes possible, which of the following is likely to be an increasingly troublesome issue? The need to legislate for the protection of the privacy of genetic information
24. Which of the following statements is consistent with the results? C is the child of A and B.
25. Which of the following statements is most likely true? D is the child of A and B.
26. Which of the following are probably siblings? C and D.