Here’s a short list of some amazing facts about our universe!
1. Saturn’s rings are not solid. Although they appear to be thin, solid rings that surround the planet, Saturn’s rings are actually particles of ice, dust and rock. The particles range from the size of a grain of sand to larger than skyscraper buildings.
2. The Moon is moving slowly away from the Earth at the rate of 3cm per year.
3. The red color of Mars comes from the rusted iron in its soil.
4. The Sun makes up 99.86% of the solar system’s mass.
5. Saturn’s moon, Titan, is larger than the planet Mercury.
6. Other planets have rings too. Saturn’s rings are the only ones visible from Earth.
7. There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on Earth.
8. A comet’s tail always points away from the Sun.
9. At the center of every galaxy, there is a massive black hole! Even our Milky way galaxy has a massive black hole in its center.
10. If you fell into a black hole, you would stretch like spaghetti.
11. The Universe has neither a center nor an edge, because according to Einstein’s theory of relativity, gravity bends all of space time around into an endless curve.
12. There are estimated to be about 100 billion such galaxies in the universe. The nearest spiral galaxy to our milky way is the Andromeda galaxy, which is 2.6 million light years away! This galaxy is on a collision course with our galaxy, and will collide with it in some billion years!
I hope everyone enjoyed these facts and please remember to always be careful around a black hole! Thanks for reading.
Other Writings From This Author: